30 Days of Burning Man – Day 25, Don’t Go!!!
This year there is a possibility that there will be a much higher percentage of newbies heading to the desert so I thought I’d spend the 30 days before the gates open throwing out some information, some images and a little bit of wisdom, advice and snark about the place I love so much. These posts will be generally directed at Burning Man virgins but hopefully some of you old dogs out there will contribute through comments or get some enjoyment out of them as well. So here we go. . I’ll include at least one photo from Burning Man each day and once a week I’ll do nothing but photos. I hope the posts are sometimes helpful and also enjoyable, enjoy ~ ZD Blue
So I’ve spent 24 days telling you about Burning Man, all of the things I love about it and why you should go, but maybe you shouldn’t. So tonight all the reasons real and imaginary why you shouldn’t go. Let’s start with the experience a colleague had with Burning Man. He had wanted to go for a long time, he’d heard and read about it and thought it would be great. He did the 4 hour drive out to the Playa, sat in the entry line in the dust and the wind, and the longer he sat there the less excited he got, finally he did a U-turn and went home. It was just too dusty he told me.
But there are plenty of reasons not to go, first of all it’s expensive, I tell newbies expect to drop a grand on your first venture to the Playa all-inclusive. Second, if you’re not someone who easily handles being out of their comfort zone, this is NOT a good place for you. Don’t like camping, dust, heat, cold, or nudity, really not going to like Black Rock City. Need to be on your cellphone all day, can’t go three hours without texting, nope. Need a week where you want to just get loaded everyday and sit around and watch other people do Burning Man, please stay home, we won’t miss you.
There are more than a few opinions about this topic on the web, some are serious, some snarky and some are just plain fucking nuts, enjoy ~ ZD Blue
1. It’s just sham cover for sex and drugs http://www.jewishworldreview.com/weekly/standard092499.asp
2. Why Burning Man isn’t worth it from Cracked http://www.cracked.com/blog/bad-acid-weird-boobs-why-burning-man-isnt-worth-it/
3. It’s an Occult revival meeting and you’ll burn in hell for going http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/burning_man_festivals.htm
4. A take from the disgruntled http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/burningman.html
5. Burning Man was terrible http://bm.tribe.net/thread/391c8bd8-fbbb-48b5-847a-afa1a0218c7d
6. This guy, did NOT have a good time on the Playa http://blog.hisnameistimmy.com/burning-man-our-review/12
7. Ten things to hate about Burning Man http://www.newsreview.com/reno/10-things-i-hate-about-burning-man/content?oid=481375
8. The dark-side of Burning Man http://funologist.org/2012/02/17/the-dark-side-of-burning-man/